ページビューの合計

2011年5月3日火曜日

Ishinomaki Volunteering Report

I got back from Ishinomaki yesterday. I was there with my team, "Volunteer Center Support Group Yamagata" for 3 days. 


I took a video on the way. We were driving the road along the coast. You can see the devastation of Tsunami...


There is so much to write about, so today, I just focus on the work of Volunteers. I was actually surprised to see so many foreign volunteers working. 


I saw bunch of non-Japanese people working with Peaceboat, < <http://www.peaceboat.org/index_j.shtml >, many JET teachers. (I met a group that came all the way from Kumamoto!!), and there was a Brazilian team as well. 
at 8:00, all the volunteers meet in front of Ishinomaki Volunteer Center which is located in Ishinomaki SENSHU University. 


Everybody registers, and volunteer leaders take their team to the designated site. 


This day, (May 1st) we worked in a place called "Okaido Minami" which is about 600-700away from the coast. I could see that Tsunami was higher than my hight. Guessing from the dirt lines on the walls and  houses, Tsunami was as high as 2m. 


In this district, tools such as shovels, wheelbarrows, and bags for putting mud are collected in front of one house where the water is running. Most of the district don't have water supply yet, but this house has a well!


We were a team of about 30 from all over Japan. Our job was to clean around one house. There were a lot of mud piled up, we dug  the mud, put it in the sandbags, and carried the sandbags to an open space. 


It was a hard work for a person like me who don't work out regularly :-)  but it felt good to work like that.    


It was quite tiring so we took a break almost every hour. 


After clearing the mud, we cleaned all the garbage from an apartment building that people abandoned. It was sad to see everyday stuff like clothes, pictures, stuffed animals, book shelves, etc thrown away.  


The whole place stank. Mud was not clean mud. It's mixed with all the dirty stuff, excrement, even with heavy fuel oil, and after a day of work, you are not in a condition to go out on a date...


After work, we brought back our tools to the house, and cleaned ourselves with jet water!


I really liked the work. It felt good to clean the dirt with all the cool people from all over Japan and other countries.    






Rimiko



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿