ページビューの合計

2011年6月6日月曜日

Rice Planting (Taue) Dance

Yesterday was annual "Rice Planting Dance"day たうえおどり in Aikai area, Okura village. Aikai and Shimizu are the center of Okura village where the village office and clinics etc are situated. 


When I was little my grandparents had a house here so I have seen these dances. I remember these scary looking loud dancers dancing at the entrance of my grand parents' house. I was always hiding behind my grand mother :-)



This is a dance to pray for the good rice harvest of the year. The dance has been succeeded from one generation to another for more than 400years!  These young dancers and the band (flute, taiko) visit 150 houses in Aikai and Shimizu. They dance in every single house to bring them good fortune. and of course, at every house, food and drinks are served.





The dance starts early in the morning, and it finishes late at night. I visited my friend's house at around 2:00PM, and many young men were already tipsy :-) We can't blame them!


Even though this dance could be potentially super attractive tourist attraction, very few people know about it. It is a very local festival. I like that.. But at the same time I want everyone to know that my village has such fantastic tradition...

Movie: Taue Dance
http://www.yamagata-furusatojuku.jp/cgi-bin/site_text/9/10902212105051058_b.asx

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿